Monday 30 March 2009

Spring has come! :)

Hello Spring! I can't believe it'll be April in two days...I've been in the UK for more than 6 months now...the second teaching term has just finished last week...and the boring dissertation is just around the corner (need to travel a bit to relax and recharge! Haha!) I've received the catalogue for Edinburgh International Festival (EIF, www.eif.co.uk) for summer and already browsed through it...and am interested in two performances (the Opening Night concert and a play called The Last Witch - for those in Edinburgh, let me know if you're interested in any or both of them so we can book tickets and go together!)

Some academic/cultural/sport "achievements" for the past month: 

1. I'm done with two assignments (one on English Word Formation and another on Spoken Discourse Analysis - a comparison between MSN conversations and mobile phone convos...well, I have quite a lot of real-life samples for both sorts of  convos). 

2. No films...errr...just one..."The Unbearable Lightness of Being"...such a long film lasting for about 3 hours...still got half an hour to go! This film interests me because of the setting in Prague in 1968...(and I always want to go to Prague!)...and its fame...but it contains quite a lot of sex too...maybe a bit too much! I didn't manage to watch The Young Victoria before it goes off...need to wait for the cheap DVDs I suppose! The films I want to watch recently are Duplicity and Two Lovers (by Gwyneth Paltrow, a love story (or two love stories among 3 people set in NYC). 

Gladys and I watched Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamboat in the Playhouse...it's surprisingly good...I first thought maybe the musical was based on a biblical story and it would be a little bit boring...but it's...what I'd say...quite commercial and makes it "mainstream"...a lot of catchy tunes...very colourful stage and visual effects...very pretty "Joseph" who is a bit shy...but a great day-out with Gladys! Looking forward to our "play" gathering in April! :)

3. I joined the Historic Scotland membership FINALLY...that means I can go to all castles (under Historic Scotland's ownership, excluding the most romantic Eilean Donan Castle...)  FOR FREEEEEEEE and for unlimited times! I went to Edinburgh Castle again (my third time!) and actually found out three more spots I haven't been in the previous two visits: 1. dog cemetery where the senior officers' dogs were buried (near St Margaret Chapel), 2. National War Museum (not the national war memorial...) it's another museum under the Scottish National Museums group...free admission, but you need to get the admission INSIDE the castle, 3. a 2-storey prison with some cells open for public on the ground floor............

4. I had my first swimming lesson at Royal Commonwealth swimming pool (4 pounds for non-peak hours)...little progress made! :)

As for hiking (or WALKing, for me), after my achievement in climbing up TO Arthur's Seat a while ago, I went to the Pentland Hills with two floormates - Tanya and Ling-yun - on a Sunday outing. We walked during the whole morning and had some good pub food in the one and only one pub on the other side of the hill! 

5. To reward myself for 6 months' of hard work and psychologically prepare myself for the academic dissertation period, I'm heading down to the south of England for a pre-Easter trip! :) 

Edinburgh --> (train: Berwick-upon-Tweed, Newcastle, York, Leeds, Peterborough) --> London (staying in Pimlico, Victoria) --> Eastbourne --> Brighton --> Salisbury --> Bath --> London --> back up north to Edinburgh

I'm in London now while I'm writing this blog. Been out to Harrods at Knightsbridge  for some window-shopping, real shopping for Wood, bought our lunch (Poached Salmon Ciabetta, 4.5 pounds! YUMMY...so much SALMON!!!) and had a picnic lunch in Hyde Park, and then some walking in Hyde Park, and took some photos at Albert Monument, Royal Albert Hall and the Royal School of Music (RSM...the ABRSM which my mum and dad invested a lot of $$$ to my piano lessons and exams)........and then I headed to Victoria & Albert Museum...the largest msueum for arts and design...a very interesting and HUGE museum...modern fashion, jewellery, paintings...I went to two exhibitions (free of cos): Hats (very impressive...I like hats, though I don't own any nice hats...) and Theatre and Performance! 

Update photos and more details later! :)

 ,

No comments: