Saturday 10 January 2009

Edinburgh's Pre-Hogmanay - Torchlight Procession

Old College, Faculty of Law, The University of Edinburgh


My university...a bit of Rome! :)

Jen came up north to Edinburgh to spend New Year/Hogmanay with me! :) Being a professional trilingual tour guide of Edinburgh, I made our first stop at the Old College of my university, where the law school is situated!


Winter Wonderland at sunset - beautiful sky


I like this photo...(click at the photo to enlarge it) - Edinburgh Castle on your left, Scott Monument on your right with the Edinburgh Eye behind it and the amusement ride in front of it!


Torchlight Procession on the 29th of December (a Hogmanay warm-up): a wonderfully awesome evening...FREE of charge...highly recommended to everyone who wants to spend Hogmanay in Edinburgh in the coming years...setting off at Royal Mile by pipers and drummers...down to the Mound...with 20,000 (official figure...I didn't count!) people marching with some holding the 5-pound torchlight (quite heavy!)...walking by the Winter Wonderland on Princes Street...up to the very cold Calton Hill for the Viking's bonfire celebration...which ended by a breathtaking, spectacular(adjectives like that...) firework displays...I've never been sooo close to the fireworks...they're like sparkling right on my face...what an amazing experience!!!!!!!!!
After the event, we headed home very quickly for a hot chocolate...my toes were freezingly cold...(strange...my body felt warm...not cold at all...but my TOES were very very cold...!)

No comments: